Re: 63 spit top end

To: lewis mckillop <lsmc@lightspeed.net>
Subject: Re: 63 spit top end
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 12:56:39 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
lewis mckillop wrote:

>     IT RUNS!!! I was'nt sure there for a while. Got it running this
> morning and it did'nt do to bad. Ran pretty good as long as i kept the
> rpms between 2000-5500. I'm not done tinkering yet though. Anyway my
> question is this while it was running it held 80lbs of oil pressure but
> when i looked under the valve cover (while it was running) i did'nt
> notice much oil. I don't know about this little 4 banger but i had a 67
> mustang that i put a built 351c in and if i took the valve cover off
> while it was running i would get oil all over everything. How much oil
> should there be on the valve train while it is running?
> thanks again,
> lew 63 spit

Its alive.....Its alive!

Your lack of sufficient oil at the upper end may be symptomatic of
debris in the oil jet that goes up from the block through the head
toward the rear of the engine.  Several sources (including Victoria
British) offer a tube that connects to the block at the oil sending
unit hole and routes oil to the port (usually plugged) at the rear
of the head.  THis will solve the oiling problem, if there really is
one.  It is not unusual for Spitfire engines to take a long time to
show the effects of iol getting to the upper end of the engine.  That's
why it is advisable to use ample quantities of lubricant when rebuilding
the upper end of those engines.

Joe Curry   '63 Spit