Spitfire Heads and Cams

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Heads and Cams
From: Peter Lucas <pllj@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1937 11:45:57 -0700
Cc: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
OK, so I've decided to go with a 1500 head on the 1500 engine. Remember
the question about the 1147 head on the 1500?...Well forget it. Anyway,
I found a shop in the SF Bay Area that will completely rebuild one,
resurface, port and polish for about $450. I'm currently looking for a
used head for this project. The engine is a '77 are some 1500 heads
better than others? Also- has anyone had any experiences, good or bad,
with the kent cam listed in the Victoria British Catalog. (.261" lift-
.295 duration with a power band between 2000 & 6500)? Another
alternative would be to go with Crane in Florida. They can re-grind a
cam to .414 lift- 222 duration with a power band between 3000 & 6200.
Again, I'm looking for more power without loosing too much reliability.
The engine also has a header, Dual point, and Weber DCOE.

Thanks in advance,
Peter Lucas '64 Spit/1500