Re: Setting Valve Lash

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, schuyler grace <schuyler@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Setting Valve Lash
From: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 08:02:02 -0700
schuyler grace wrote:

> There was a thread on the list a short time ago regarding setting valve
> lash.  It petered-out, though, shortly after one member teased us with a
> tidbit about setting his Spit valve lash *hot*.  I'd be very interested
> to hear about his technique and the proper hot spec.  As I mentioned in
> an earlier posting, I have set many "bulletproof" Merkin engines (slant
> sixes, etc.) while the engines were running by using a flat feeler
> gauge, slowly cranking down the adjuster until the gauge is pretty much
> trapped, and backing the adjuster out until I can just get feeler gauge
> movement at the slack points.  The process is messy, but it's quick and
> easy, and I've never had a problem (luck?); however, I'm more than a
> little reluctant to give this a go on Malibu Barbie's Dream Car.

<SNIP>

Schuyler,
  I'd always been taught that although you may set the lash hot with the
feeler gauge while the engine was running, the "hammering" action on
your feeler gauge would thin them out.  After doing this several times,
your 0.008" is then 0.007" or 0.006", more or less.  I don't want to
start a thread on the metalurigcal (sp?) properties of feeler guages,
but I'm sure we'll hear something....

Peter Ficklin
'64 Spit
'68 Spit