Re: Spitfire air box for dual su's

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire air box for dual su's
From: token1@ridgecrest.ca.us (Darrell)
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 09:27:06 -0700
Posted-date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 09:19:09 -0700 (PDT)
Andy Mace responds:
>On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Sean Johnson wrote:
>
>> Does someone out there have the metal "box" that goes around the air
>>cleaners
>> for dual SU's on a Spitfire that they would sell for a reasonable amount?
>> Used 60's thru 1970 I think.
>
>Sean, someone may know differently, but I'm pretty sure that no U.S.-spec.
>cars ever used that "box," despite all the pictures in all the books
>(which are almost universally pictures of home-market cars). Even my 1969
>Mk.3, last of the U.S. cars to use the dual SUs, had only individual round
>air cleaners.
>
>--Andy

I do not know if this is what we are talking about here, but my 1967 MK III
had a "box" around the two aircleaners on the dual SUs.  The car seemed
very original when I got it with no mods at all that I could see.  It looks
like this is a U.S. spec car.

This box is about 9 inches tall, 3 to 4 inches deep, and 16 to 18 inches
long.  Two individual air cleaner elements are inside it, one for each carb.

The "box" and carbs are now on the 1500 engine I swapped into the MK III,
(also swapped in the 1500 O/D gearbox, '79 diff, and rear suspension, oh
yeah, and
'79 wiring harness, steering column, and gauges, but the gauges have MK III
glass and trim).

Darrell Leach,   KD6LRC   DM-15,   Ridgecrest, Ca
   email: token@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us
1962 TR-4 (CT5368LO)   Every Day
1962 TR-4 (CT13108L)
1965 Spitfire Mk.II
1967 Spitfire Mk.III  (In work, lots of 1500 stuff)
Keeper of the TR-4 List.  Version 1.4 availible.