re: Re: Spitfire air box for dual su's

To: <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: re: Re: Spitfire air box for dual su's
From: "Sean Johnson" <sean_johnson@milacron.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 97 9:55:01 -24000
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Andrew Mace responded to my query for a Spitfire cold-air box for dual SU's
with:

"Sean, someone may know differently, but I'm pretty sure that no U.S.-spec.
cars ever used that "box," despite all the pictures in all the books
(which are almost universally pictures of home-market cars). Even my 1969
Mk.3, last of the U.S. cars to use the dual SUs, had only individual round
air cleaners."

May be so.  Any one from across the pond have a Spit air box?  The engine
will run more efficiently, and with better power, if I bring cold air into
the carbs.

If not I'll use the two threaded holes in the bottom of the intake manifold
with the carb faces to mount a heat shield for the carbs.  I'll fabricate a
cardboard shield and use that as a sheet metal pattern.  [I know they
shouldn't get that hot even with the header, but in hot Summer driving I'd
prefer not to take chances.]

At least with the fabricated shield/cold air box I'll have a place to mount
the fuel regulator.

Hmmm.  I wonder if the long air cleaner box for a TR7 could be made to fit
the dual SU setup with an adapter plate?

regards,

Sean Johnson