Re: Triumph confusion

To: John Sisler <jsisler@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Triumph confusion
From: Bill Wood <triumph1@nr.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 21:40:20 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
John Sisler wrote:

> Hello! I got your E-mail off the VTR register web pages.
>
> I have a question:
>
> I am installing a Mazda rotory into a spitfire. Currently, I am going to try
>to run this increased HP through the standard 1980 rear diferential, having
>heard that this differential was improved in 1976 to increase it's strength a
>bit.
>
> I've also heard that this improved differential was used on the early-year
>TR7's, and wondered (if this is true) whether TR7/8 differentials can
>therefore be used in spitfires?
>
> If true, perhaps the TR8 differential is the "easiest" way to go with the
>rotory. (Note: I am aware of the full mod's to the RX7 differential housing as
>proposed by GrassRoots Motorsports... Just want to try this first...)
>
> Does the TR7/8 differential mount the same way as the spitfire/GT6
> differential?
>
> J.

John,

I am not sure if the ring and pinion out of an early TR7 will fit the
Spitfire rear end.  I do know that you can't swap them out whole--the
Spit being an IRS and the 7 a live axle.  The early 7s rear end was the
same as the Triumph Dolomite/Toledo/Austin Marina and in the back of my
mind I think it might work.  But I might be making this up.  The later
rear ends in the 7 and 8 were shared with the Rover 3500/SD1.  Don't
think they will work.

I am going to cross post this to the Triumph list to see if someone on
it can help you.  Someone probably knows for sure.

Will you please send me the city in which you live and if you are a VTR
member?  I have to keep records of inquiries and I need this info.
Thanks!

Bill Wood
Greensboro, N.C.