Re: TR-6 REAR BEARINGS <33A5F24D.18D3@penn.com>

To: s7101 <s7101@jane.penn.com>
Subject: Re: TR-6 REAR BEARINGS <33A5F24D.18D3@penn.com>
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 11:00:36 PDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, kerch@parc.xerox.com
>>>s7101 said:
 > RECENTLY HAD RIGHT REAR BEARING REPLACED.  MECHANIC COULD NOT GET THE
 > ASSEMBLY APART THEREFORE USED A TORCH. HE THEN ORDERED THE PARTS THAT
 > WERE DISTROYED.  COST TO ME $759.00 OUCH!! WISH THIS CONVERSATION WOULD
 > HAVE OCCCURRED LAST WEEK.  STEVE VOLPE --1976 TR-6

Steve, please stop shouting.  When you say he used a torch, do you mean he
heated it to try to get it apart, or he used a cutting torch (AKA flame
wrench) on it?

This leads me to in interesting question: are mechanics liable if they
ignorantly destroy part of your car and then try to stick you with the bill?
A competent TR-6 mechanic would know what to do with a rear hub; if someone
ruined mine I'd be mad as hell and probably take them to court if they didn't
make it good.  Seems to me that Steve should pay for his new bearings, and the
flat rate book time to install them, and no more.

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center