Re: Fast TR-6

To: Bill Hooper <hooper@rf.capitolweb.com>
Subject: Re: Fast TR-6
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 03:49:03 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bill Hooper wrote:
> I believe it.  The average Corvette, Trans AM, & Camaro drivers in the
> '70's & early '80's had reaction times slower than turtles, & just about as
> much brains.  Most spent THREE seconds just spinning their wheels!  You
> could leave them behind with a Chrysler Newport.

  But to help the turtles, for some reason very baffling to me,
american muscle cars seem to like to come with automatic
transmissions. So if they could handle the ability to wheelspin,
then it becomes pretty trivial. Step on it and hand on. ;>

> And if the road wasn't straight, those folks slowed, stopped, or
> fishtailed.  Even a squirrelly GT6 could get past them, because they
> couldn't go around a curve faster than 50 mph.

  Certainly not the masters of the autocross, but if I can say one
thing, they grip the road better than they look like they grip
the road. I had a hair raising ride in my neighbors 68 camaro, and
some corners surprised me that it hung onto. Now I could do it
faster in either of my cars, but I was surprised we made it
through at all in that car.

  Let's say that they are bad handling cars that got the undeserved
reputation of being REALLY bad handling cars.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada