Re: fuel gauge

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: fuel gauge
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 20:20:09 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>Is there a way to determine which part of the fuel indication system is
>at fault when my gauge always reads empty?

A dry cell battery across the gauge leads after the voltage stepdown
dohicky should cause the gauge to move to roughly midrange.

The tank unit should show a change in resistance as the arm moves.
Don't rememember which way, but a change none the less.  Usually it is
the tank sender gone bad.  No big deal though, as they are easily
repaired.  Usually it's corrosion and gunk that is causing the problem.
 Pry the tabs straight, work the cover off (partially, as it is joined
by a soldered strap) and clean it all up.  The sender then should start
working.  You adjust it with that plastic screw that stuck out the
cover.  That turns the electrical arm in relation to the float arm.
Don't know the "proper" position, but I'm still working on mine to get
it sorta right.