RE: Triumphs in winter

To: "Lindberg, Andrew (MN12)" <Andrew.Lindberg@CORP.honeywell.com.wgcinet>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net.wgcinet>
Subject: RE: Triumphs in winter
From: "Tom Gentry "<TGENTR@wgc.woodward.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 12:34:00 -0500
I drove my TR-6 last winter.  For those that aren't familiar, it's a '72
with 10:1 compression, ported and polished, hi perf. cam, Monza header
and custom exhaust, Lucas Sport Coil, poly bushings, Carrerra front
shocks, perf. valved rear shocks, lowered about 1.5", 215/65 tires on 7"
rims.

It never failed to start, went through the snow just fine (a full tank
of gas seemed to help), and kept me plenty warm!  I had some problems
fitting the hardtop, so I was using the soft top.  My gas mileage was
even worse than usual due to all the choke use, but that's to be
expected.  It was actually fun, buzzing around all the lumbering beasts
that people drive in the winter, and on at least one occasion the
superior handling saved my bacon.

In addition to the usual Triumph comments and questions, you can expect
"Is that thing warm?" and "Can you drive that in the snow?" (asked at a
gas station with 2" on the ground and still snowing).  All in all, it
was fun.  Salt and some added risk to sheet metal were the only down
side.  I washed it, including the undercarriage, at least once a week to
keep salt damage to a minimum.

I have to get it back on the road soon, I'm suffering from withdrawal.

Tom Gentry
Life is too short to drive boring cars!