Re: Panasports

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Panasports
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 17:58:04 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

Most of the TR6 applications use the 6 inch panasport. My experience is
that they will hold a bead under heavy corner loading even with 215-70-15
tires. I'm not sure about more "sporty" profiles like 65 or 60 series. I
do know that with tires in the 215 and 225 widths that when you try
getting really short sidewall tires like the 55 series that I use for
AutoX, getting the bead to seat is a real pain in the ass. Last week, the
guy at the tire place had to use 100 PSI to get the bead to seat.. Plus
he had to lube it like crazy.

If you do go to wide tires, you should look at the 7 inch rims. But note
that I have had good success with stock TR6 rims (5.5 inches) and
215-70/15 tires. And the bead hold very well, I have videos of me
spinning out on dry pavement at an autocross with no problem. The tires
stay on the rim quite well. In fact, my Hoosier tires (225-55/15) are
mounted on 5.5 inch American Racing mags and they hold the bead really
well. I have loaded these _very heavily_ without experiencing any problems.

bye,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own???