Re: TR4 fuel gauge reads low

To: "'asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk'" <asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk>
Subject: Re: TR4 fuel gauge reads low
From: Steinbeck Michael <Michael.Steinbeck@start.de>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 12:42:41 +0200
Cc: "'TR Liste'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at infwgw01.infwgw01.sinfo.start.de
Hi there,

Adrian Jefferies wrote:

The fuel guage on my TR4 has always been very pessimistic about the
amount of
fuel in the tank - a full tank will register just over half full. The
temperature
guage seems fine.

Is the voltage stabiliser broken? In extreme circumstances I suppose I
could
get the car out & take some measurements ...  The sender arm looked ok
when I had
the tank out a couple of years ago; not obviously bent,obstructed or
full of fuel.

I have the very same problem with my TR4. When the gauge shows "E" there
is about 10 liters (approx. 2.5 gallons) left in the tank. I changed the
voltage stabilizer - with no effect. I checked all electrical
connections - no effect. Even when I pull up the sensor (with a wire
through the filling opening) or fill it up as much as possible, the
gauge doesn't show "F" (it is then just about 3/4). Is there a problem
with the gauge itself?

Another question: My TR4 takes, depending on the style of driving, about
11 to 14 liters of gas for 100 km (converts to about 16,8 to 21,4 miles
per us-gallon). Is this OK, or do I need a tune up?

Are there any hints out there?

Thanks

Michael
1962 TR4