GT6 drivetrain in a Spitfire Mk2?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: GT6 drivetrain in a Spitfire Mk2?
From: David Bombardier <davidb@aynrand.org>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 10:13:31 -0800
Hi folks, nice to meet you. This is my first post. After several years
of playing around with Porsche 914s, I've just decided to switch over to
the Triumph scene.

I really love the looks of the early Spitfire (Mk1 and Mk2) and I've
wanted one for a long time. Mechanically, I want a car that will
function as a daily driver and will be reasonably reliable for a weekend
trip (to the extent this is possible with a 30-year old sports car), and
I also want something with more power than the original engine. So I see
a new rebuild, hopefully larger than the original engine.

I'm a Triumph novice, but given that the engine compartment and chassis
appear to be the same on a Spitfire and GT6, is it not possible to
simply replace the Spitfire drivetrain with that of the GT6? What
problems are there? What year Spitfire (of the Mk2 series) and GT6
should I consider? What other conversions are possible? (I tend not to
like to put a different manufacturer's engine in a car.) Also, how much
more difficult is it to find parts (both mechanical and cosmetic) for
the Spitfire Mk2 than the Mk3?

Looking forward to hearing back and getting to know you all!

David Bombardier
Los Angeles, CA