Re: Broken Block

To: john_mcmaster@dpa.act.gov.au
Subject: Re: Broken Block
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 11:14:00 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
john_mcmaster@dpa.act.gov.au wrote:(snip)

>While tightening the oil filter, without undue force, (using a
>standard 5/8th inch ring spanner) the casting within the bloc kwhere
> the bolt goes in snapped off!  This casting is about an 1-1/4 inch and
>just shouldn't break!

> John Mc    71 TR6 180hp
John; Wow! Major Bummer, Dude! The only thing I can think of is that
someone in the past got out the 4 foot long breaker bar to tighten that
pesky oil filter. One small crack has a way of growing over time in cast
metal.
If the rest of your engine is in good shape, you may want to explore the
possibity of having it welded back together. Shop around, it might be
worth it. You'll have to pull the motor out so it can be worked on.
Hope  you make out OK!