Re: General: wire wheel refurbishing

To: EPaul21988@aol.com
Subject: Re: General: wire wheel refurbishing
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:23:30 +0500 (EST)
Cc: ak627@dayton.wright.edu, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 1 Apr 1997 EPaul21988@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-03-31 19:24:27 EST, ak627@dayton.wright.edu (Tom Tweed)
> writes:
>
> << I think you want 72-spoke good-as-
>  new wire wheels for a TR-6, especially if you plan to do any
>  `spirited' driving with this car.
>
>  Regards,
>  Tom Tweed >>
>
> I run disk wheels on the 59 partly because I love the Triumph World sig on
> the hubcap, but I'm planning on wires for the TR2.  I don't like the look of
> the 72 spoke wheels, nor the 60 spoke wheels for an early car. Too many
> spokes, they look fussy.  I.m going to go with 48 spoke wheels because of the
> appearance...

> The TR2
> came to me with a set of old 48 spokers in OK shape. which I will replace.
>  They got the car through some 40 years of pounding around the Southwest.  I
> know I've seen early photos of cars racing in the 50's with 48 spokers as
> that's what was available I guess.  Wonder when the 60 & 72 spokers became
> available.

Some points of reference, albeit from memory, about wire wheels:

In most cases with OEM wire wheels, the 48-spoke wheels had a rim width of
four inches. Also, these usually were only "outside-laced". The 60-spoke
wheels usually had a rim width of four and one half inches, and had some
center-laced spokes as well (perhaps stronger, but??). The 72-spoke wheels
had a wider-still rim width (5 or 5.5"?) and both outside and center
lacing.

I'd certainly not want anything narrower than whatever the width of the
72-spoke wheel is for a TR6. As for either 48- or 60-spoke wheels, I've
seen messed up and broken versions of both, but perhaps (strictly my own
observation over the years) the 48-spoke wheels actually held up a bit
better. The 60-spoke wheels were optional, I believe, on the later
sidescreen TRs, and probably became standard on the TR4. I don't think
TR6s ever came with anything but 72-spoke wheels (or the comparably wide
steel wheels), but I could be wrong. (As many of you have been so quick to
point out before, it's happened! :-) )

--Andy