TR4 crank seal conversion kit - 64 or 65 mm?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4 crank seal conversion kit - 64 or 65 mm?
From: "Dean Mericas" <dmericas@limno.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 08:00:00 EST
Comments: Authenticated sender is <dmericas@limno.com>
I need some help from someone who's familiar with the crankshaft
rear seal conversion kit that Moss and British Frame and Engine sell
for TR4 engines.

I am in the process of redoing the TR4's engine, and decided to go
with the redesigned seal.  I haven't gotten the parts yet, but the
crank is at the machine shop, and I'd like to get the work required
for the new seal done soon.  Moss' catalogue says that the scroll
must be machined to 65 mm.  Just in case there was a typo or other
error in the catalogue (I'm not paranoid, I KNOW they're out to get
me) I called Moss' technical number and got them to fax me the
installation instructions.  Fulfilling my worst fears, the
instructions say to machine the scroll down to 64 mm!

Does anyone out there have first hand experience with this kit, and
can you tell me which is the right dimension?  Is it possible that
there are two versions of this kit?  It took all day to get through
to a technical advisor at Moss, and I'd like to get an independent
opinion.

Thanks.
Dean Mericas
1965 TR4 (CT37089L)