Re: Re[2]: What differential?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re[2]: What differential?
From: joe-schneider@nwu.edu (Joseph R Schneider)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 21:40:26 -0500
(snip)

>Forgive me guys, I am not picking on you, but this is the most assinine
>theory I have ever heard.
> The ratio cannot be determined by the circumfrence of the tire in
>relation to the diameter of the drive shaft.
> The ratio is determined by the number of teeth in the pinion gear and
>how many teeth it has to travel on the similiarly beveled ring gear to
>make  one complete revolution and then how many times the pinion gear
>has to turn to make the ring gear make one complete revolution to
>complete the final drive.
>Sorry, I just don't see anyway you can determine the ratio considering
>the variation in tire sizes and the variation of non-stock drive shafts,
>like mine.
> Anybody care to elaborate. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so.
>Regards,
>Tony
>--
>The Digital Zone  (915) 751-0131 voice (915) 759-8100 data
>http://www.dzn.com
yes, and if both wheels are on the floor and you push the car, the ring
gear makes exactly one revolution if the tires make exactly one revolution,
no matter what the circumference of the tires
if one tire is on the floor, the other jacked and free, the rule about
halving still holds, no matter what circumference the tires, the ring gear
moves half as many revolutions as the free tire and the pinion gear moves
some fixed number of revolutions (the ratio that we are trying to
calculate, actually) for each ring gear revolution- the "non-stock" size
drive shaft doesn't matter, either, it will rotate 4.11 or 3.89 or whatever
number of revolutions for every ring gear revolution
joe