Re[2]: What differential?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re[2]: What differential?
From: tonyr@dzn.com
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 20:05:36 -0600

JO>>As a warning, if you follow this process with that car jacked up and with o
JO>>wheel touching the ground and only on wheel turning, you will have to multi
JO>>your answer by two to get the correct answer
JO>>
JO>> ratio =(length of string x 2)/diameter of drive shaft.
JO>>
JO>>Zenon
JO>(snip)
JO>yes, perhaps i didn't read the original procedure description closely
JO>enough, but it might be easiest to have it on the ground and push the whole
JO>car one revolution of the wheel so that both wheels would be forced to turn
JO>the same distance if you could find a way to do this and still retrieve and
JO>measure the string, otherwise, jack up one rear wheel only with other on
JO>floor as is often done for balancing rear wheels and follow above
JO>directions
JO>joe

Forgive me guys, I am not picking on you, but this is the most assinine
theory I have ever heard.
 The ratio cannot be determined by the circumfrence of the tire in
relation to the diameter of the drive shaft.
 The ratio is determined by the number of teeth in the pinion gear and
how many teeth it has to travel on the similiarly beveled ring gear to
make  one complete revolution and then how many times the pinion gear
has to turn to make the ring gear make one complete revolution to
complete the final drive.
Sorry, I just don't see anyway you can determine the ratio considering
the variation in tire sizes and the variation of non-stock drive shafts,
like mine.
 Anybody care to elaborate. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so.
Regards,
Tony
--
The Digital Zone  (915) 751-0131 voice (915) 759-8100 data
http://www.dzn.com