Re: alternator question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: alternator question
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 06:43:24 -0700
                   <snip>
>I'm wondering if I can fix it myself. I'm not an expert at
>auto-electrics, but have done fairly well so far learning along the way.
>I've researched my Haynes manual, but not much info is there. Is it worth it
>to try to do this, or should I just buy the rebuilt one? Is the hum that
>precipitated the alternator failing an indication of the problem? If I
>should rebuild/fix it where should I start?

It's a fairly straight forward job to repair an alternater,  Usually just a
matter of dissasembling the unit replacing the bearing's and brushes then
reassembling 'in reverse order".  The tricky parts are usually getting the
pulley off, and also when reassembling, keeping the brushes out of the way
of the commutator (those two big copper rings) when putting it all back
together.  If it was still charging before it bit the bullet, this is
probably all you'll have to do.  Of course, while you have it apart you
might consider replacing the diode assy - these can be a little
temperamental in Lucas units and would be good insurance.  Apart from
burning out the coils (highly unlikely, but possible) thats about all there
is.  The bottom line is, do it if you want the experience.  If you just want
it fixed, than buy a replacement.  Then you can rebuild the old unit and
have both!
Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com
Bschwart@pacbell.net