RE: British plates again

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: British plates again
From: Paul Nicklin <PAUL@gt66.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 00:19:42 +0000
I'd be tempted to say have what you like - no-one would know!

A number plate/registration number/index mark is unique within the
UK & channel islands, England, Scotland & Wales (Great Britain) use
the system as desribed,

The three letter group 'ABC' say can have any letters except I,Q,Z.
(the last two indicate the British geographic region in which the car
was registered - BC is Staffordshire, Scottish areas have an S in
them eg RS - Aberdeen)
The year letter suffix can't be I,O,U or Z, Q is reserved for special cases,
year
independent, so you could have that if you wanted (it's frowned upon
here!)

Northern Ireland uses I Q & Z in the 'area code' eg EXI or BQZ, but
Northern Ireland don't have a year suffix, but upto 4 numbers
instead!

The channel islands use J or G (Jersey, Guernsey) followed by upto 5
digits (boring really!)

Confused? You will be!
The Isle of Man uses 'area code' MN (eg AMN) and MAN in the three
letter group, they use both year prefix and year suffix notations but
the year letter is not year related. eg T42 MAN, AMNIK or MAN 1C for your
spit! They also use the 3letter 4-number layout and 4-number 3
letter.

The number group can't start with 0 either, but it can have 0 in it.

I've probably missed something out!