Re: brake piston removal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake piston removal
From: Jim Van Riper <jvr@informix.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 10:41:11 -0500
Keith,

I rebuilt the calipers on my E-type this weekend and here's how I did it.

1. I pulled the pads.
2. I put a large plastic tray under the caliper.
3. I put shim shingles in where the pads were. The Jag is weird because it
has 2 small pistons on the inside a a single big one on the out (or visa-versa).
4. I had my wife slowly apply the brakes and as the 3 pistons came out I
slid the shims out trying to keep the pistons even.

This worked well and doesn't require the compressed air. Using air with the
caliper removed I've found that if you're not careful it is easy for one to
come out and leave the other behind.

Have fun.

Jim

At 09:09 AM 5/13/96 -0400, you wrote:

>hi,
>
>in my on-going saga of front end rebuilding i picked up
>a disk brake refurb kit including new pistons. my question
>is HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE OLD POSTONS? these suckers just
>don't want to budge and i am fearfull of applying too much
>force and busting somthing.
>
>are these things supposed to easy to take out?  if so, i
>wonder if something is really wrong with the caliper?
>
>i love the manual... "Step 42: Remove the piston. Step 43: ..."
>it seems that it's never that easy...
>
>any insight will be appreciated.
>
>thanks,
>kbt
>'250

Jim Van Riper
95 Pontiac Firebird Formula Convertible - DrkGrn, TanLeather, M6
79 Triumph TR7 Convertible - DrkGrn, TanCloth, M5
70 Jaguar XKE Convertible - Robin's Egg Blue (ick), BlackVinyl, M4
94 Pontiac GrandAm GT 4dr (wife's)