Re: brake piston removal

To: thompson@ridgeback.East.Sun.COM (Keith B. Thompson - Sun)
Subject: Re: brake piston removal
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 09:29:13 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>in my on-going saga of front end rebuilding i picked up
>a disk brake refurb kit including new pistons. my question
>is HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE OLD POSTONS? these suckers just
>don't want to budge and i am fearfull of applying too much
>force and busting somthing.
>
>are these things supposed to easy to take out?  if so, i
>wonder if something is really wrong with the caliper?
>
>i love the manual... "Step 42: Remove the piston. Step 43: ..."
>it seems that it's never that easy...

Keith:
The easiest way is to blow them out with compressed air. Don't allow them
to come out completely, or you'll soak yourself with brake fluid (Why would
I know this?) They fit rather tightly in the bore of the caliper and
usually one will come out and the other will stick. Take your time and
leave the pliers on the bench.

Philip E. Barnes       '71 TR6  CC61193L
Cornell University
Newman Laboratory of Nuclear Studies
Ithaca, NY 14853
607-255-4951