Re: Engine painting, vendor kvetching, and Spitfires

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine painting, vendor kvetching, and Spitfires
From: rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net (Ralph Jannelli)
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 15:32:19 -0400 (EDT)
Engines for Spitfires as far as I know were all painted black, block and
head. All mating and internal surfaces should not be painted. I masked off
all those surfaces and gave is several coats of high temp universal engine
black paint available at any auto parts store.
The $700 cost of a rebuild on a 1296cc Spit engine is reasonable I spent
about that much ten years ago on mine for parts and machine work on just the
block. i didn't redo the head and I am regreting it now, I am burning oil
that is getting past the valve guides.

>I can't believe it! In a week or two I'll be ready to reassemble my
>Spitfire 1296cc engine.
>
>So on painting the block and head - what should and shouldn't be painted?
>I've seen examples of engines with the whole engine painted black, but
>what about mating surfaces, internal surfaces, etc? Should the engine
>be painted before assembly? How have you all out there painted engines?
>How about the heads - how do you paint them?
>
>I guess I've been a bit taken aback at the cost of a major rebuild. Kind
>of makes me wish I lived in England, since Kipping sells short and long
>blocks for about what I'm paying in parts and machine shop work! I'm
>replacing valves, guides, springs, all bearings and bushings, seals,
>pistons, cam, etc., and it will cost about $700 in parts.

Ralph Jannelli
'72 Spitfire MKIV daily driver
'66 Spitfire MKII freshly restored