Re: driving tests, speed limits, etc<960507224614_393261880@emout14.mail

To: TheHerrs@aol.com
Subject: Re: driving tests, speed limits, etc<960507224614_393261880@emout14.mail.aol.com>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 08 May 1996 08:49:31 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
>In a message dated 96-05-07 11:30:57 EDT, kramling@tony.bc.edu (Joseph M.
>Kramlinger) writes:

>> And hey,
>>everyone of you was sixteen at some point, right?

I remember it well, although we have to wait until we're 17 here in the UK.

>Joey,
>I hate to sound like the old man here, but I said the same thing at 16, 17,
>18, 19, etc... Around the age of 25, I sounded more like I do now. Maybe it
>has something to do with having kids of your own? I guess I have too many
>memories of stupid things that my friends and I have done. While I have
>refused to completely grow up, I do use much better judgement (and can
>finally afford cars that will not take an active role in trying to kill me!)

>Now for the part that will really make you sick. Insurance rates: Full
>coverage on the 91 MR2 Turbo - $269 every six months - Full coverage on a
>1995 Honda Passport - $229 per 6 months - 73 Stag with declared value of
>$15,000 at $115 per 6 months. Hopefully adding the TR4A will be even cheaper.
>Old age has a few benifits. Okay, okay, back in my twenties I once had to pay
>$1500 per year for basic liability for my old 280Z.

I think your all being a bit harsh to the younger lot, I'm 26 and I admit I
still drive like a prat at times, although I am selective about where I drive
like an idiot, ie not in built up areas, near schools, busy roads etc etc.
I my opinion, the government(I mean ours, not yours, thats for you lot to say)
should make it mandatory that a new driver, regardless of age, can only drive a
certain type/size of car so that they simply haven't got oodles of power to get
them into trouble,  compulsory Morris Minor First Car would be a good idea, as
this would teach everyone about car control at a slow speed in an easily
controlled car :-)

Rich - I only wrote ONE car off, and that weren't mine, nor was I insured, but
I was on a disused airfield at the time.  BTW, the car was a Mk3 Cortina -
Jackson.