Re: floorpan seam prep...

To: Pat Willems <pbw@chong.dseg.ti.com>
Subject: Re: floorpan seam prep...
From: "Jon Moody (BME)" <mood@rad.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 11:05:39 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, pbw@chong.dseg.ti.com
Hi Pat,

Extend is one of many availible rust converters.  It is supposed to dry to
a hard primer coat.  On my car it looks like it did this on the rusty
areas but not the rust free areas (no rust to convert).  After I coated
the seams w/ extend, I painted them w/a black paint called rust not - it
has zinc in it which retards rust formation.  I then put on some seam
sealer.  All this was done the side that got the new floor pan.  On the
other side, I removed as much paint as I could, prepped w/ POR15's metal
prep, and then painted w/ POR15.  POR15 looks like its a hard paint, but
it is a pain is the a** to use.   I'll post an update in about a year to let
people know how its held up.  People on the list have told me to use
eastwood's corroless - you may want to check it out.  I would also look into
a product called Bill Hirsch's miracle paint.  I think this may be as good
as POR15 but easier to use. They are both advertised in Hemming's.  Good luck!

--Jon

p.s. POR15 # 1 800 457 6715