Vacuum source on 69 Spitfire

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Vacuum source on 69 Spitfire
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 20:29:52 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: va-britcars@tsquare.com
For the few of you who heard, I replaced the head on the Spitfire this
past weekend.  The car seems to be working fine... we'll see how the plug
fouling and oil consumption goes.

Question:  I have a Delco distributor with the vacuum line attached to
the front carb.  When I test the vacuum advance by sucking on the vacuum
line, it appears to work... at about the resistance of the vacuum advance
on my MG... which is attached to manifold vacuum...

I don't know which one is right at the moment.  However, the Spitfire
doesn't seem to do much with its vacuum advance, and when I disconnect it
and plug it the RPM nor the advance change!

What's the proper arrangment on a 69 Spitfire, anyway?

Oh, the main difference so far in changing the heads is total lack of
pinging.  I don't know if I have a lower compression head on now or the
carbon on the other one (thick because of oil burning) was the
problem.... doing a compression check soon.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"'Assembly is the reverse of disassembly' is like buying house plans that
say, 'Building your new home is the reverse of blowing it up with dynamite.'
-- Peter Egan, January 1994 Road&Track --"