Re: Sagging rear spring on Spitfire? HELP!

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sagging rear spring on Spitfire? HELP!
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 11:15:42 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: BearFL@aol.com
> From: BearFL@aol.com
>
> I recently purchased a '74 Spit, and got around to changing the shocks last
> week.  I noticed the rear driver's side shock was frozen when I took it off,
> but I didn't think much about it and pitched it.  After putting the new
> shocks on (which I got at Pep-boys for half of what they cost in the
> catalogs), I noticed the car now leans to the left when viewed from the back.
>  I now feel sure the PO of the car froze the rear shock in the extended
> position to hide this defect.  My question is, is this dipping of the left
> rear of the vehicle due to the leaf spring being worn on the driver's side?

Yes, almost certainly. It's quite typical with "wide-track" Spitfires
(73-on).

>  Is there any easier (cheaper) way to fix this than to buy a new leaf spring
> and put it on?  (someone told me there are bolt on helper shocks available
> for the Spitfire that might solve the problem)  All hardware appears to be in
> stable condition.  Any suggestions?  Keep in mind this is a $700 car, which
> I've already put $600 into, and don't care to spend any more than necessary.
>  Thanks!  Leon

Leon, I feel that any sort of helper shock is no substitute for having a
decent spring. If your spring appears otherwise sound, a good spring
shop might be able to re-arch for well under the cost of a new one.

Do make sure that there are no broken leaves, though.

Meanwhile, if the shock truly were frozen (by the DPO or ????), make
absolutely sure all suspension/axle/shock mounts and bushings are in good
shape.  Bushings and tires can only take so much before bumps and loads
take their toll on the various mounts. Bushings and trunnions aren't all
that expensive.

If this is a "typical" $700 car, I'd pay close attention especially
where the trailing arm bolts to/through the body. Make sure there is no
rust or fatigued metal there. You DON'T want that to let go!

If you're lucky, you will get by cheaply. Most likely, you're in for
spending a fair bit more money. Do it (or find a less bodged car to
start with -- yeah, right, forget I said that). You and your passenger
are no doubt worth it, eh?

  * NYS Library                         phone: (518) 474-8541 (voice) *

  * 10D36 CEC, Albany, NY 12230                  (518) 486-2152 (fax) *
  *  "I was wonderin' why we live so much longer'n our imaginations!" *
  *     -- Broom Hilda                                                *