Answers to Triumph Questions

To: GBSimcoe@aol.com
Subject: Answers to Triumph Questions
From: triumph@igc.net (Chad Jester)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 16:09:41 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Joe & Grace,

Here are answers to your questions:

>1)  Just replaced a faulty oil pressure gauge, and am now curious as to what
>the Oil pressure should read.  As far as we know the engine has never been
>reworked. (1974 - 90,000 miles or maybe 190,000 miles :-)

A TR-6 engine with bearings in good condition and 20W50 oil in the sump
should read from 35 - 50 psi at idle.

>2)  Given the low ground clearance, and our lack of a lift - just how in the
>blazes does anyone suggest we get at the Oil/Transmission/and Differential
>plugs and filler plugs to change the fluids (or is there no way without a
>lift)

Buy four good quality (not the stamped steel type) jackstands and a floor
jack at Wal Mart, K Mart, or your favorite discount store.  Total cash out
should be lees than $100.00.  You can them jack your car up and support it
with the jackstands.  You will be glad you spent this money!

>3)  We will be changing out the oil filter to a new adapter with screw on
>filter at the next change (good idea/bad idea ???) - does anyone have any
>thoughts on whether or not to also go ahead and add an oil cooler at that
>time?

YES!!!!  Do install the screw on filter adapter and install the cooler,
however, be sure to buy the kit that includes a thermostat.  Oil that is too
cool is just as bad as oil that is too hot!

>4)  Next months project is to replace all the cooling hoses - any tips or
>advice that can be given?

While you're doing it, replace ALL the hoses.  Even the heater hoses inside
the car.  This will give you piece of mind and a reliable cooling system.

>5)  Last (and most troubling) has anyone replaced their gear shift gaiter
>with one purchased from Moss recently.  Just did so and - the Moss gaiter
>included a rubber ring around the base of the gaiter (believe they call it
>the upper boot)  When we took the rotted one out, it didn't have a rubber
>ring, and the rubber over the shifter opening seemed to be all one piece
>(which I assumed was the Lower boot)  Well the thing was tight as the dickens
>to get on, the opening in the gaiter is too small, and then when we did get
>it down the rubber ring (upper boot) didn't seem to fit over the other rubber
>piece like I thought it would.  Now that it is all back together it is really
>tight.  ANY THOUGHTS?

No comment

>6)  Last (again) anyone on this forum from (or near from) Louisiana?  Am
>looking for other LBC owners in the area - (oh and last again - for real -
>There is a TR6 for sale in the Baton Rouge paper this morning.  If anyone is
>interested post a message and/or e-mail I'll send you the info & number.)

Thanks, but the LAST thing I need is another TR-6!

Regards,

Chad Jester