Need advice on TR-6 transmissions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Need advice on TR-6 transmissions
From: Jess@cris.com
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 95 19:58:03 EDT
Hi all...
I have been STRUGGLING with my tr-6 transmission problem and Im not sure which
way to go with it... any advice would be most appreciated.

I was attempting to rebuild the non-od transmission myself when my honda
got totalled.  I posted a note here asking if anyone drove their tr-6 everyday
and got so many positive responses that I have decided to do the same...
Now the dilema... I took the trans to an ex-formula 1 mechanic who lives
locally.  He says there are problems with the transmission he just
does not know how to deal with and suggested I get one that was rebuilt
by someone who deals with these types. (something about spacing between
gears is too lose and new synchroniser rings not lining up quite right,
or something like that).  TRF has them for 895.  Another company
has some that the Heritage foundation rebuilt in england for 695.
I have found used ones for 150 and local rebuilts for 475.
I really know very little about these transmissions so I dont know
whether it is usually just a bad idea in general to get a used one,
or if there is a big difference in the quality of rebuilds that the
Roadster Factory sells, vs. having a local shop rebuild put into the
car.  Any thoughts or experiences would be much appreciated.  Thanks
J.