Thanks for sump/oil pump advice

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Thanks for sump/oil pump advice
From: "Chris Boston" <cboston@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 15:14:56 +0000
A big thank-you to all who gave advice on the sump/oil filter.

Everything is back together now, as of four hours ago, and the oil preasure
warning light has decided that it was being under-utilised, and is now
permanently on.

First thing's first...a few responses to points made by you good folk.

My oil pump has an oil pickup strainer (metal gause globe, covering end of
tube), not the gauze mentioned in the Haynes which is a flat gauze screen
covering the whole sump (I assume from the picture in the book.)

I was very careful to keep everything  extremely clean, but the message about
lubricating before refitting came in too late (as always).

The pump was very smooth and shiny, no pitting or scoring, and the tolerances
were well within spec.

The four long bolts went into the rear four supm holes (lots of checking first)
and it seams that one of the front holes has been forced with one of these
bolts at some time in the past, a short bolt doesn't want to tighten too well
anymore.

New gasket used with wellseal gasket sealer.  All bolts tightened to recomended
20 lb.

New oil filter, new oil, no leaks...and no oil preasure (according to light
that used to go off before I cleaned everything).

What have I done wrong?

Is it possible to put the oil pump in incorrectly - the bolts lined up nicely
and tightened home easily.

Is it because I didn't lubricate it?

Do I have to take the sump/oil pump off again?

Can I check for correct operation of pump without removing sump/pump?

Is there a god?

Help, please Help, PLEASE HELP!!!

Chris.
       1977 - Spitfire 1500 O/D.

--
--
-- "What is the use ", asked Alice, "Of a book with no pictures?"