Complaint about TRF stuff

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net"@tin
Subject: Complaint about TRF stuff
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 10:18:17 -0500
OK, I just gotta vent my frustration.

Now, I'm pretty tolerant about parts quality, etc.  The fact I get a lot of my
stuff from VB should attest to that.

But I recently got the sun visor set for my Spit Mk3 from TRF's sale flyer for
$82 or so, and I was really disappointed. I've kept it, because it's better
than what I had, but I thought it was a pretty poor set for that kind of money.

First, the visors themselves look kind of cheesy. The mold flashing, etc., is
pronounced and it doesn't have the same feel as the original. But, that's the
price you pay for getting non-oem stuff. I can live with it.

These visors have aluminium tubes inside that the metal rods go into. The rods
go in very easily - too easily. TRF says you have to squeeze the tubes to get
Attempt to move past the beginning of buffer $MAIN
them to go in tightly enough to keep from falling as you drive. Well, you have
to squeeze the tubes without messing up the vinyl, and if you squeeze too much
you can't get the rods in. This is cheesy!

The part that really ticked me off were the metal rods. They are bare metal,
unfinished. The originals were painted black. The new ones will rust in a
heartbeat, and have on my car. I'm going to have to remove them, steel wool
them, and paint them to get them to look right. They look like crap right now.
They also required a LOT of bending to get to fit. I was VERY unhappy  with
them, especially considering the price!

Then, to add insult to injury, the new set did NOT include the rubber snaps
that the end of the visor goes into. I had to order a pair from VB. By the
way, VB doesn't list them in their Spitfire catalog, and will tell you they
are unavailable. They ARE listed in their TR4/250 catalog, and work just fine.

*sigh*

Anyway for $82, you get 2 cheesy visors, 2 metal rods that are unfinished and
need painting and bending, 2 short rods for the other end, and the mounting
doohickeys and screws. Not what I would call a Great Deal.

I guess if you gotta have em, you gotta have em. But I don't have to like it!

Larry
lesnyd@monsanto.com