Re: Spitfire MkIII with Toledo Engine<950822221629_100567.1611_BHJ51-2@C

To: Andy Gascoigne <100567.1611@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire MkIII with Toledo Engine<950822221629_100567.1611_BHJ51-2@CompuServe.COM>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 09:31:52 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk

Andy wrote:-

>I had (sniff) a Mk3 and it had a non Mk3 engine. It was a MkIV but was down on
>power - seems like the US regulations even hit them over here (almost 2 seconds
>quicker 0-60 & 95Mph rather than 90 - but then who's gonna do 90+ in a Spit an'
>live to tell the tale...?)

>If you're going to have 'the works' done I'd forget a MKIV and stretch to
>getting a 'real' Mk3 engine - John Hill's had some 'to order' a while back
>(Rimmers just did MkIV & 1500's) and Triumphtune could always make your dreams
>come true ;-)

>...other than that try a 1500 unit (but then to get the best out of it you
>should fit the gearbox, the diff & nearly everything else - should zing along
>though

I'm gonna write:-

I may be wrong, please say if I am, but apart from the recessed block and the
bigger bearings on the crank, I thought the main(power increasing) difference
between the Mk 3 and MK IV engines were a hotter cam and bigger valves in the
MK 3 engine. I think early MK IV's had the bigger valves though.  As I said
though, I ain't perfect(I once bought a Citroen), so I could be wrong.

Rich.