Re: Rear engine seal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, Allan=W.=McClure%FACENG%UMASS@BANYAN.UMMED.EDU
Subject: Re: Rear engine seal
From: "Kurt Oblinger" <Kurt_Oblinger_at_AWP450@mail.hq.faa.gov>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 95 17:08:43 EST
     In reality there is no "seal" at the back of a TR Vanguard type
     engine. There is what we like to call the "magic scroll". A scroll
     is machined into te crank which as the engine turns "encourages"
     the oil to drain back in the direction of the oil pan. It acts on
     a similar principal as an auger bit in displacing soil. There is
     also an aluminum split shell that bolts to the back of the block
     through which the crank end passes. This aluminum shell fits very
     close to the crank surface but does not touch it. This seems to act as
     a secondary line of defense if the scroll becomes too inundated with
     oil. If all these parts are in good shape then very little oil will
     make it out of the engine to foul our planet or your driveway.

     An alternative to consider is a modification which involves machining
     down the scroll on the crank (gasp!) and fitting an adapter in place
     of the aluminum shells that holds a late type neoprene lip style oil
     seal. i know a few people who have done this mod and are quite
     satisified. The seal in question is a late Rover part so is easily
     obtainable for subsequent rebuilds. I have this mod on an engine I'm
     building up for a '57 TR3, but its not up and running yet so i cannot
     personally attest. Some people are reluctant to go this route because
     of the turning down of the crank is irreversible.

     This kit is available from British Frame & Engine (Ken Gillanders)
     or from Racestorations in the UK. Addresses for both are out there
     someplace, I don't happen to have them in front of me at the moment.

     Kurt Oblinger - Poster child for the So. California Shipwrights
     Disease Association.
     54 TR2
     57 TR3
     62 Vitesse Convt