Re: Refinishing wood dash

To: JMardy@aol.com
Subject: Re: Refinishing wood dash
From: kralmv@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu (Milo V. Kral)
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 1995 07:42:20 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu
>My new dash from TRF arrived yesterday.  It looks like cheap plastic wood
>grain from a Ford Fairmont.  I have decided to refinish my old one and am
>looking for advice on stripping/refinishing.

>I've got everything I need (except for money and patience).

For refinishing,  you need a lot of patience.  I'm not sure of the best way,
but you can buy chemical strippers (and the other kind too,  or so I'm
told).  After stripping,  you can begin putting on coats of SPAR VARNISH.
This kind of varnish doesn't look as good as polyurethane,  but it doesn't
yellow or crack as easily.  It's made for boats.  Spray on a couple of light
coats.  Then lightly sand.  After successive coats,  sand lightly until
after about 10 coats,  you'll have a smooth even thickness of varnish.  Now
the fun part.  Wet sand down to 600 grit until smooth.  Then get some Dupont
heavy rubbing compound.  Rub-rub-rub until there is a deep shine.  Then get
light rubbing compound.  Hand rub until there is a deeper shine.  After this
you will have a much better than OEM finish that will last for years.  I did
this to a '69 GT6+ and the finish looked like it was glass about an inch deep.

Have fun!
Milo Kral
'67 MGB
'71 TR6