Re: Nuts and bolts, TR250

To: JMardy@aol.com
Subject: Re: Nuts and bolts, TR250
From: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 13:45:00 -0700 "Re: Nuts and bolts, TR250" (Aug 3, 3:27pm)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
        Thanks Chris,  I just wish the TRF catalog had a more complete
        description of the actual fasteners.  I didn't know about the
        brittleness of SS, so thanks for that info!

First, I highly recommend that everyone who is even marginally interested in
fasteners (i.e., you are considering replacing or substituting, or have
occasion to use a torque wrench) buy and read Carroll Smith's "Nuts, Bolts and
Fasteners". Then read "Prepare to Win" by the same author. It's all about race
cars, but the truth it, it's directly applicable to our cars.

Second, you need to crack the code, and use the price list. Triumph/BL used a
code to describe fasteners. Look at page 218 or the TR250 handbook, and all
will be explained (no, I'm not going to type it in here - the catalog is free
from TRF). If the part number is in this style (e.g., HU704) you want a simple
grade 5 bolt. If it's a six-digit part number, it's special in some way -
either harder (use a grade 8) or has an odd thread to unthreaded length, or
something else.

Substitutions should be made carefully, but after reading those two books, you
should be able to make a good call.