help!...TR6 Clutch WON'T DISENGAGE

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: help!...TR6 Clutch WON'T DISENGAGE
From: kralmv@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu (Milo Kral)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 12:46:13 -0400
I've been struggling with this problem for 3 months now.  The clutch doesn't
disengage when the slave yoke is attached to the middle hole on the shaft
lever.  It DOES barely disengage when I move the pin to the "top" hole.
BTW,  the clutch itself and all hydraulics are new.  I've had several
theories about this,  and they've all been shot down:

1)  Has the shaft fork slipped because of a broken pinch bolt?  No,  but I
replaced all of this stuff anyway.
2)  Was the slave cylinder installed wrong?  Yes,  but it didn't change
anything.  The slave cylinder was mounted in front of the plate instead of
through it.

Current theory:  All of the mechanical "slop" that has been worn into the
system over the years adds up to not enough throw into the shaft lever.
This HAS to be it,  because there is nothing left to fix.  I pulled out the
clutch pedal,  and there wass 1/8" extra slop in the slave pin/yoke hole.
The clutch slave pin also has about 1/8" oblongness to the pin hole.  BTW,
a quick calculation showed that 1/8" less throw at the master resulted in
.25" less throw at the slave.  I have had a stainless steel bushing
installed in the pedal (retaining the original geometry) and ordered a new
slave pin/yoke.  If this doesn't fix it,  I guess I'll have to junk the car.
I believe that this is why the previous owner sold the car,  because there
is a lot of evidence of work (rigging) done on the various clutch mechanisms.

Any feedback on experience in this area would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Milo Kral
'71 TR6