Re: Brake Bleeding

To: mood@rad.unc.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Bleeding
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 95 12:15:04 -0700
In message <Pine.3.05.9507251229.A4397-8100000@fovea.rad.unc.edu> "Jon Moody
(BME)" writes:

> I recently replaced the rear brake cylanders on my 73 TR6. Now  when I try
> to bleed the brakes, I cant get any fluid  to flow.  Any one have ideas as
> to why this is happening? Thanks.
>
> Jon Moody

Could be a number of reasons.  Is it not flowing at the front and rear wheels or
at one end and not the other.

If you have single brake system:

if you get no flow at all then your system is blocked at or before the junction
where the front splits from the rear.  Open the system going into the junction.
if there is fluid, the block is ether atht e junction or you have two blockages
one on each line. If there is no fluid,  open it at the output of the master
cylinder.  If there is flow, you have blockage in the  pipe between the junction
& the master cylinder. If no flow, then open circuit between resevor and master
cylinder. If there is flow you master cylinder is blocked.  If there is no flow,
its at the resavor or its feedline.

If you have dual brake system:
If you have brake fluid at one end and not the other then the most likely
problem is that the pressure diffrential valve has been activated and it is
blocking off one side of your brake system.  You can often accidently cause this
safety feature to work when you try to bleed brakes by opening one circuit and
stomping on the pedal to get the air out.  Recenter the valve and ether use a
E-Z Bleed or have the system profesionally power bled.  You can use the foot
method if you are slow & careful.

Adadotes:

1. I just replaced all the brake lines on my Land Rover.  When I went to bleed
the brakes, I noticed that nothing was coming out of the front left cylinder.
Opening the circuit at different locations after it branched off the other front
brake line showed a clog in a brand new genuine Rover rubber brake hose.  It was
a manufacturing defect at the top crimp.

2.  The first brake work I did on my MGBGT was replace a leaking master dual
cylinder.  I went to bleed the system and noticed that no fluid was coming out
the rear.  Upon farther investigation, I discovered the proportional valve was
activated, closing off the rear circuit, there were unworn rear brake shoes on
the car and the new wheel cylinders never had brake fluid (other than asembly
fluid in them.  The previous owner installed rear shoes & cylinders but couldn't
bleed them because the proportining valve was closed.  I only had the front
brakes working all the time I had the car up till then.  I centered the valve
and everything worked fine.