Re: Weird thermostat gizmo

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, TinyHost@aol.com
Subject: Re: Weird thermostat gizmo
From: jab@netrix.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 08:08:29 +0500
> ...on the edge of the [thermostat]
> mounting bracket is a hole with a small plastic valve in it. The valve
> consists os a small, white plastic blob with a small brass tab on it
> that keeps the plastic blob (hopefully) falling into the engine block.
> Anyone have any idea what that little gizmo is for?
>
>         Bruce Krobusek
>         Rochester   NY
>        tinyhost@aol.com

That little blob is to allow air to pass from the block as it is being
filled with coolant.  It also allows any bubbles formed during operation
to pass when the thermostat is closed (i.e. has cooled off).  I have seen
these things on many later model cars.  I'm glad that they are available
for LBCs too.

-Jim.
----
James A. Babcock:  Software Engineer, amateur bowler,
                   shadetree mechanic, Arnold wanna-be
Email:  jab@netrix.com   WWW: http://www.dogwood.com/~jbabcock
Netrix Corporation  (http://www.netrix.com)   '92 Honda Accord
Herndon VA  22071  USA                        '87 Dodge Dakota
Give Blood -- It's a great feeling!           '76 Triumph TR7