Weird thermostat gizmo

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Weird thermostat gizmo
From: TinyHost@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 20:48:48 -0400
I'm working on the cooling system of my TR6 and was getting ready to
replace the thermostat when I noticed something odd about the new
thermostat. It's a recent purchase from TRF, and on the edge of the
mounting bracket is a hole with a small plastic valve in it. The valve
consists os a small, white plastic blob with a small brass tab on it
that keeps the plastic blob (hopefully) falling into the engine block.
The hole is definitely in the path of the coolant, and would normally
be closed by the plastic bloc as the coolant flows from the block to
the top of the radiator. Anyone have any idea what that little gizmo is
for? It almost seems as if it gives a small outlet for any back
pressure that might occur.

        Bruce Krobusek
        Rochester   NY
       tinyhost@aol.com