TR6 Seat Rails

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Seat Rails
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 1995 16:01:29 PDT
OK, once a while ago I asked how to get TR6 seat rails *apart*; now I need to
know how to get them *out*.

I am finally in the middle of reupholstering the seats and recarpeting Sybil.

The driver's side set of seat rails come out with no problem, but on the
passenger side two of the bolts spin, not making progress.

I cannot find the other side of the bolts; they appear to go through the body
into the frame (which is kind of comforting, really -- knowing that your seat
is firmly attached to the strongest part of the car).  There are some holes on
the bottom in about the right spot that might be for access.

My theory is that there is some kind of captive nut fixed under there somehow,
that has come loose in the two places that I cannot get to come out.  I guess
I have two options:
  1) hold the bolt head with a wrench and drill it off, hoping the nut and
bolt shank will come out the bottom of the frame rail.  Replace with new bolt
and nut.
  2) get a long, deep socket of the appropriate size (7/16, I think) and hope
it will fit through the hole in the frame rail.  Hold the nut from below while
an assistant undoes the bolt from above.

I'll probably try 2 today, and 1 when I get up the nerve to attack my freshly
painted car with a drill.

Is there anyone out there that has a better idea?  Maybe someone who has done
a frame-up on a TR6 can confirm or deny my theory of who the seat fasteners
work.

  --berry
--
Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com