Matching Paint Codes, etc

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Matching Paint Codes, etc
From: "Himelfarb, Mike" <mike@sdm.ShoppersDrugMart.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 10:17:59 -0400
Encoding: 1647 Text
Re the thread about 71 paint on a 72 TR6, etc., I read a blurb in the
Moss newsletter a few months back which might be germaine.  BL
dealers, along with many import dealers at the time, were in the habit
of changing interiors, etc on incoming cars to satisfy outstanding
orders.

For example, a dealer has an order for a red car with black interior
but only has a red with brown (yuck, but just an example ;-)).  When
the boat comes in he receives a white car with black interior which he
has no orders for so he swaps interiors with the red car.  The only
problem is, the VIN plate says the car has a brown interior... some
dealers would replace the plate with one showing the new configuration
so the customers wouldn't know any better.

A similar scenario could occur for a car damaged in shipment.  A
re-paint is necessary but he only has '71 paint, so on it goes and the
plate is replaced with one showing the '71 paint code, hoping no one
is the wiser.

I'm not saying this is what happened, but it *is* possible!  As for
commission numbers, I've always understood that they should be
*exactly* the same, if original.  Being 'close' isn't good enough and
it's possible the motor was replaced with a comm # which was close,
later in life (or early).

That's my .02 worth for today.

Mike.

*  Mike Himelfarb - '76 TR6  |  "When all else fails, use a hammer..."   *
*  Mike@ShoppersDrugMart.CA  |                                 Taylor    *