Re: Pulling Tranny's

To: S1500@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pulling Tranny's
From: "Doug Mitchell" <doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 08:01:26 -0400 "Re: Pulling Tranny's" (May 17, 7:11am)
> Subject: Re: Pulling Tranny's
> Hi Triumph Types,

[snip]
> I haven't learned about this infamous "floating crank".  I broke out my
> Bentley Book and read about crank-shaft end float setting and adjustment,
> did a "thumbnail" type check on my car, but what's the real deal here?
> Should I get a dial guage and check it?  Is this something that wears out
> before the rest of the bottom end? 50Kmiles? 100k?
> I've read it's that it's bad new when they"completely go".
> Are they hard to replace? , with the engine "in situ"?
>  I'm curious.

It is my understanding that the thrust washers were a very weak point
on the 1500 engines. Yes, you need to beg/borrow/buy/steal a dial
indicator and measure the end float. I don't see why you couldn't
replace them in place. I have heard that many engines needed rebuild
by 35K miles. On my 1500, the end float was still within specs at 88K,
but I have overdrive and I always changed the oil at 3000 mile intervals.
I pulled the engine because of low compression, not thrust washers. I
will get around to rebuilding that engine soon (it's only been since
1981 and two moves).

[snip]

> Bob Sykes
> 75, 78, 78 Spitfires