Re: TR6 Rear End ?'s

To: TinyHost@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Rear End ?'s
From: mike@twinpeaks.prc.com (Mike Ladwig)
Date: Sun, 14 May 1995 21:27:02 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
You write:
>>I'm not an underbody expert, but have you checked your U-Joints?
>
>According to notes I got from the previous owner he replaced all of the
>U-joints. It actually seems as if the play and clunk is in the rear end. I don
>'t remember if I got the same results from the right-hand rear wheel.
>Although I have to believe that I would have noticed.

I hope this doesn't repeat stuff already posted, but here is a list I made
from my investigations into the subject this winter.

Things that can be wrong with the TR6 rear end:

1.  Differential mounting points can be loose and the mounting brackets can
be broken.  Listen for solid thunks on throttle transitions, especially
down hill.  Since the diff is very heavy and mounted on rubber, it's best
to get someone who _really_ knows to look at this.

2. Sliding joints (middle of the axle) can have some slop.  This one can be
figured out best by twisting the axle on either side.

3. Hub bearings.  Jack up each side, grab the tire top and bottom - wiggle.
If you feel something move, that's bad.

4. U joints.  If they were done poorly, or were of bad quality they may not
last all that long.

5. Rotting frame mounts. Very serious and dangerous.

6. Rubber mounts holding the rear springs in and the links between the
shocks and the trailing arm.

7. Bolts holding the shock absorbers to the car; diagnosing this can be
complicated by sloppy bolt holes.

8. Loose brake drums (maybe other internal brake parts).

mike.