Solid axle breather hole

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Solid axle breather hole
From: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 17:04:17 -0400
I guess I am fortunate that no fluid or grease is creaping out the axle and
into the brake drums, but I've got a mess back there that I've been ignoring
for a while now.

There is an incredible amount of crud all over my differential housing.  The
other week before taking my first long trip in the TR, I topped off the
differential.  (On level ground, remove the fill plug and fill it up until it
starts overflowing---Right?)

It took a good bit of fluid.  Now I look under there and there is tons of
fresh new crud all over the differential housing.  I don't know if it is
getting past the cover gasket, but a large portion of it seems to be drooling
down from the "breather hole"  Does that mean something is wrong?  Perhaps
I've just overfilled it?

In any event, it is a major mess.

Thoughts - - Theories - - Guesses - - advice --

Thanks

Scott Tilton
In Richmond Virginia
Whose TR marks its territory like a dog.