Re[2]: us lepers vs. "them"

To: RGS03%ALBNYDH2.BITNET@cs.utah.EDU, triumphs@autox.team.net, "Doug Mitchell" <doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com>
Subject: Re[2]: us lepers vs. "them"
From: oliverc@cc.tacom.army.mil
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 15:14:05 -0400
 My two cents worth:  I agree with Doug, the cars were made to be driven and
 enjoyed.  Its a sad fact that in the past 10 or so years speculators, and
 not true "car people" have put parts, restoration and enjoyment costs out
 of reach of most people interested in cars, myself is included.  I grew up
 restoring cars with my dad, even though we never won Pebble Beach, we have
 restored 6 cars to a high enough standard to win multiple first place
 trophies with the Antique Automobile Club of America.  All body, paint, and
 mechanical work was done in our garage, and all cars were regularly driven
 on tours and to the shows.  I still judge AACA meets, my specialty is
 sports cars, and if you want to catch a change in mood of the hobby, hang
 out a Hershey during class judging.  During the last couple of years it has
 gotten nasty.  Anyway enough band width wasted.  I will probably never find
 the perfect Spitfire that I can afford with out buying a basket case that
 I would never be able to afford to restore.  I can say this, what ever you
 do to your car do it right, apply high standards to your work cuz once you
 have invested the time, material and parts it doesn't take much to do a
 first class job, but then watch out for ship fitters disease... While I got
 the master cylinder off, I might as well do the brake hoses and renew the
 calipers and repack the bearings and clean up and paint the peddle box etc,
 etc, etc.......  Have a great weekend, Chris in Detroit