Re: Tales of woe

To: RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Tales of woe
From: pbw@chong.dseg.ti.com (Pat Willems (@chong))
Date: Wed, 3 May 95 12:33:26 CDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Rich wrote of his Spit gearbox:
>Before I go, does anyone know of a easy way to get the 'box out without
>giving yourself a hernia.

No, but I can recommend a good surgeon to fix the hernia, :^).  I've
done this several times -- last time > 15 yrs ago so my memory is
rusty.  You can pull the engine and tranny but the easiest way is to
pull the transmission by itself through the interior of the car.
Remove the seats, carpet, center console, tunnel cover, and parcel
shelves.  Take slave cylinder off, take shifter off, disconnect other
misc items.  Unbolt driveshaft and unbolt mounts, and remove bolts at
bell housing to engine.  Slip tranny back and out.  Things to remember
(I learned some of these from experience)

1)  Cover shifter hole so you don't drop a loose nut inside the tranny
    on installation and have to pull the tranny again,
2)  Make sure all bolts holding bell housing to transmission are
    installed--leaving one out results in EP90 all over the driveway
    and much, much cursing as you pull the tranny again
3)  Replace all clutch components and use a clutch alignment tool.

Have fun,
Pat Willems
pbw@chong.dseg.ti.com
Dallas, TX