Re: Another leper

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Another leper
From: DANIELS@LMSBV3.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels, daniels@tamu.edu)
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 9:06:33 -0500 (CDT)
Dean Mericas writes:
>[...] but I also remember what it was like when our cars were new.  *Nothing*
>was sacred, and anything was subject to modification by the owner.

Ah, yes --- I bought my first GT6, a '68, in 1975 (probably at the low
point in its value) for $650.  It had a fairly new respray on it, and
already had a glasspack; sounded great.  The rear deck also sported a
*beautiful* wood veneer --- was this an option?  I later bought a '69 GT6+
which didn't have it, so I moved it from the '68 to the '69 when the '68
got flattened by a truck.

At that time these cars were just aging little foreign cars, you could buy
a new one at the dealer, who ever worried about making "non-original"
modifications?  I had slapped in an ammeter and a better AM/FM, but the one
thing I probably _shouldn't_ have done is cut two big holes in that
beautiful wood deck for the crappy speakers.  Maybe the car went to the
crusher long ago so that I don't have to worry that some LBC lover is not
now cursing me.

Lee M. Daniels   Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding   Texas A&M
 daniels@tamu.edu            (409) 845-3726          Fax (409) 845-9351