Re: TR6 Exhaust Inside Car

To: Ian Clough <ian@on.bell.ca>
Subject: Re: TR6 Exhaust Inside Car
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 14:51:45 -0400
Cc: triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
++> I'm having trouble with my '74 TR6:  when driving with the top up and
++> the windows closed, there's a strong smell of exhaust. I know, I know,

        I thought I'd post this to the triumphs list since it might have
general interest.  I have the same problem with my spit/6 and I know my
exhaust system is not leaking.   As far as I can tell, the exhaust is being
sucked through the trunk area into the passenger compartment.  It may
also be coming through leaks in the rear window.  The basic principle is
that, at speed, there is fairly low pressure area around the midsection of
the car.  With the poorly sealed doors, windows, and roofs on these
triumphs, this can pull a fair amount of gas out of the passenger
compartment.
        More importantly, what can you do about it?  The easy fix is to
turn on the heater fan.  Doing this will eliminate all the smell in my car.
Otherwise, you need to look for all the possible gas leaks around the
rear of the car.  Remember, with the large separated flow region behind
your car (its wake), the entire rear end of the car can be bathed in exhaust
gases perhaps even up to the rear window.  There are a number of rubber
plugs in the trunk (boot :-) area as well as the trunk lid seal itself.  In my
car, when I had the seatbelts out, a strong jet of smelly gas came
through all the bolt holes in the floors and wheel arches.  I also found
that replacing my chewed up trunk lid seal helped out quite a bit.

--
William Woodruff        woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor MI