Spitfire shocks

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire shocks
From: Strativary@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 1995 15:10:32 -0400
Hi List,

I have made some observations while changing the rear shocks
on a couple of Spitfires recently.  The old shocks coming off
the car are Girling brand, possibly original equipment.  These
shocks are "spring loaded" that is to say they want to extend to
their full length when off of the car.  The new shocks that replaced
them were Woodhead brand from TRF.  These shocks are not
"spring loaded" and stay at the length they are left at (their shortest
 length possibly).  Is this a measure of the quality of the
shock?  Are the Girling "Gas shocks" and the Woodhead not?
I am considering "springing" for some Spax soon, and wonder
if these would be the "spring loaded" type.  It seems to me that
this might help reduce (slightly) the classic "squat" that Spitfires
suffer from sometimes.