Re: Rocker feed pipe = pressure gauge inaccuracy?

To: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Subject: Re: Rocker feed pipe = pressure gauge inaccuracy?
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 20:52:50 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Fine Fellow Scions <british-cars@autox.team.net>, Scions of Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Thu, 6 Apr 1995, dan parslow wrote:

> If one installs a supplementary rocker oil feed pipe at the
> oil pressure switch takeoff, will it render the oil pressure
> gauge inaccurate?
>
> Seems to me that the oil feed pipe will provide an outlet for
> the gallery pressure at that point, making the gauge read far
> lower than the actual pressure the main bearings are experiencing.
>
> Anyone using this combination?  What's your experience?

Yes, I've installed them in combination before.  Fluid statics relations
tell you that the pressure at all points in the system must be equal,
regardless of the number of taps coming off of the feed pipe, fluid
weight considerations neglected.  Even if the lines have air in them, the
pressure will be the same all around the system.   That's why connecting
rods knock until the rocker becomes pressurized.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6